Public Restroom Locators
Below is a list of public restroom locators web sites. Please note our concern that many of the locations are private businesses and not public restrooms. While being directed to a large box store or a food court may not be a problem, many people will hesitate when they realize they’ve been directed to a restaurant or other small business. Many of these smaller venues also have limited hours of operation.
The American Restroom Association suggests that restroom locator publishers consider the following listing criteria:
- Highlight or add emphasis to those facilities available year-round, 7 days a week and at least between 8:00 am and 9:00 pm, including holidays.
- Where portable sanitation units (porta-johns) are listed, note if they are known to be routinely cleaned and serviced
- Highlight true municipal public restrooms units and restrooms in buildings clearly open to the public such as train stations
- Avoid listing small privately owned mercantile establishments (ex. coffee shop), unless they advertise availability
- List restrooms in urban parks that meet the availability requirement listed in the first bullet
- Note possible security restrictions (ex photo ID required) that might impact access to government municipal building restrooms.
- Note if the facility is a single toilet restroom that may be current occupant locked.
Please let us know if you’ve encounter problem using a restroom locator service.
If you know of a true public restroom, please provide that information via our survey form.