American Restroom Association
The American Restroom Association (ARA): is a nonprofit founded in 2004. ARA advocates for the availability of clean, safe, and well-designed public restrooms. Accomplishments include successfully advocating for enforcement of and revisions to the International Plumbing Code, congressional testimony on gender equity in public restrooms in US Federal Buildings, and representing the USA in educating international audiences at Summits and Conferences of the World Toilet Organization (WTO). ARA brings together a multidisciplinary and independent team from architecture, engineering, education, academia, and social work. In addition, we work hand-in-hand with restroom advocacy organizations across the USA. The ARA is a Maryland non-stock corporation recognized by the US Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. EIN #20-3581202.
The American Restroom Association advocates for the availability of clean, safe, well designed public restrooms.
Our scope of our mission includes:
- Restroom design and technology
- Restroom availability and accessibility
- Pertinent legislation and regulations
- Documenting the problems faced by people who hesitate to travel or who avoid activities that put them out of range of proper toilet facilities
Our goals are to:
- Generate public relations campaigns that result in positive coverage by the press
- Address regulatory and legislative weakness
- Act as a health impact clearing house
- Survey and develop “Municipal Friendliness Ratings”
- Communicate with other similar associations around the world
- Develop suggestions, brochures and suggested designs
- Serve as clearing house for companies and individuals promoting these products and designs
- Develop lines of communication with mall and building managers, architects, builders and other groups
ARA Founding Press Release
November 8, 2004: American Restroom Association (ARA) Launched, will present at the World Toilet Summit in Beijing. Click here for full article.
Board Members and Roles
PRESIDENT and CO-FOUNDER
Steven Soifer, Ph.D., LCSW, Co-founder, Advisor, and Consultant – International Paruresis Association, Oxford, MS
Kathryn Anthony, Ph.D., Professor – School of Architecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL
Tom Achatz, P.E., Past President & Board member – IPA, Project Manager – General Motors, Brighton, MI
INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE CONSULTANT
Bruce Pitts, BSMET, Independent Restroom Design Advocate, Aiken, SC
Representing PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human), Port Townsend, WA
President and Founder – The Simon Foundation for Continence, Wilmette, IL
Donald D. Goertz
AIA/CSI – Architect, La Jolla, CA
President, Public Restroom Company, Minden, NV
Professor Emeritus, Metropolitan Studies and Sociology, New York University
Independent Restroom Design Advocate – Walter Munk Foundation for the Oceans, La Jolla, CA
Diversity & Inclusion through Design Expert, bradpolsky.com
Director of Major Gifts, Houston Symphony
American Restroom Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 21237
Catonsville, MD 21228
MEDIA: Let us connect you with the best expert to support your news and media projects.
INVENTORS, MANUFACTURERS, SUPPLIERS, & SERVICE PROVIDERS: We want to hear your stories about how you are leading change in restroom design and maintenance!