Support For Public Amenities Can Win Votes
American Restroom Association is a 501(c)(3)
Tax Exempt Nonprofit Organization
American Restroom Association was incorporated in the state of Maryland, USA in September 2004.
Please note: We can not provide legal advice!
The American Restroom Association advocates for the availability of clean, safe, well designed public restrooms.
The Scope of Our Mission Included
- Restroom design and technology
- Restroom availability and accessibility
- Pertinent legislation and regulations
- Documenting the problems faced by people who hesitate to travel or who avoid activities that put them out of range of proper toilet facilities
- Generate public relations campaigns that result in positive coverage by the press
- Address regulatory and legislative weakness
- Act as a health impact clearing house
- Survey and develop “Municipal Friendliness Ratings”
- Communicate with other similar associations around the world
- Develop suggestions, brochures and suggested designs
- Serve as clearing house for companies and individuals promoting these products and designs
- Develop lines of communication with mall and building managers, architects, builders and other groups
ARA Founding Press Release
November 8, 2004: American Restroom Association (ARA) Launched, will present at the World Toilet Summit in Beijing. Click here for full article.
Board Members and Roles
Executive Board Members
Executive Director: Tim Pyle, M.B.A., M.S., Executive Director – International Paruresis Association, Catonsville, MD
President and Co-founder: Steven Soifer, Ph.D.LGSW, Co-founder, Advisor, and Consultant – International Paruresis Association, Oxford, MS
Vice-President: Kathryn Anthony, Ph.D., Professor – School of Architecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL
Secretary: Brad Polsky, Design Innovation & Research, Future Readiness, Inc.
Treasurer: Tom Achatz, P.E., Past President & Board member – IPA, Project Manager – General Motors, Brighton, MI
International Plumbing Code Consultant: Bruce Pitts, BSMET, Independent Restroom Design Advocate, Aiken, SC
Additional Board Members
Lori Apfel Cardeli, AIA, NCARB, Architect – Anne Decker Architects, LLC, Bethesda, MD
Kyle Earlywine, representing PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human)
Cheryl Gartley, President and Founder – The Simon Foundation for Continence, Wilmette, IL
Donald D. Goertz, AIA/CSI – Architect, La Jolla, CA
Chad Kaufman, President, Public Restroom Company
Tom Keating, Ph.D., Founder & Coordinator – Project CLEAN, Decatur, GA
Harvey Molotch, Professor Emeritus, Metropolitan Studies and Sociology, New York University
Mary Munk, Independent Restroom Design Advocate – Walter Munk Foundation for the Oceans, La Jolla, CA
Board Observers/Coalition Partners
Carol McCreary, Program Manager – PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human)
Stalled! – Seb Choe, Liaison to ARA
Interested in connecting your nonprofit to ARA as a Coalition Partner? Contact Tim Pyle, ARA executive director.
MEDIA: Let us connect you with the best expert to support your news and media projects.
INVENTORS, MANUFACTURERS, SUPPLIERS, & SERVICE PROVIDERS: We want to hear your stories about how you are leading change in restroom design and maintenance!